Headaches are one of the most common physical complaints of all Americans next to back pain. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) share the following statistics about headaches:
- As many as 45 million Americans have chronic severe headaches that can be disabling.
- Headaches result in more than 8 million doctor visits a year.
- 70% of Americans will suffer headache pain severe enough to seek medical attention.
Any pain that is experienced anywhere on your head is classified as a headache. There are different classifications of headaches, causes and treatment interventions. There are effective treatment methods for each headache class but like an infection, knowing the cause determines the treatment plan.
There are four classifications of headaches:
- Migraine and cluster
- Secondary headaches from an underlying condition, such as fever, infectious disease, sinus disorder, or in rare cases, a tumor or more serious illness
- Cranial neuralgias, facial pain, and other headaches
70% of headaches in adults are tension headaches or muscle spasm headaches and stem from a neck or jaw problem, poor posture, fatigue, or stress.
In the world of working 40+ hours a week, driving frequently, working at a desk or texting on your phone and many nights of limited sleep, most of us could say we’ve experienced a headache that has impacted our life.
Physical therapy is under-utilized in treating this common condition. Your physical therapist will complete a full assessment and work with you to develop a treatment plan to resolve the underlying problems that are causing your headache symptoms.
If you or someone you know is struggling with headaches, don’t wait. Access Group Physical Therapy can be the FIRST and LAST stop in eliminating headaches.